Monday, May 4, 2009

Welcome to my blog. Since this is my first attempt at this new endeavor, please bear with me as I develop my blog and interest in writing about my painting experiences. I have begun oil painting again after not working in this medium for more than 30 years. I have decided to work in the relatively new medium of water mixable oils. Working in this medium I feel is a safer alternative to traditional oil painting in that this medium reduces exposure to volatile fumes and chemicals and makes traveling with supplies easier since there is no need to use paint thinners or turpentine. These paints will mix and clean up with water. The medium is possible since paints have been developed with modified linseed and safflower oils. The paint consistency is similar to traditional oil paints and paints behave in a similar manner. The depth of color, buttery consistency, lightfastness, opacity/transparency,drying time and performance allows use in all color techniques. To date I have found no limitations in this newer medium. I have been using Winsor and Newton Artisan paints.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe

    Thanks for sending me your blog address http://sunsetstudio-sunman.blogspot.com .

    I spent some time looking at all your paintings and learned a little history and culture about Sicily. Telling a story about each painting brings life to the work.

    I have tried painting in acrylics and spend too much effort with details. I have tried to make the painting like a photograph. I like your paintings where you use oolors to show subjuect details rather than fine lines.

    My wife and I both looked at the paintings and thought that they were good enough to sell. I think people would buy them if they also included the story behind the painting.

    Great job. I'll check back again to see what else you have done.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog....I apologize for not keeping up with entries but hope to change that!

    ReplyDelete